6.30.2009

The Story of the Boots

Since we've been married Paul has bought me a purse each birthday. He has fantastic taste and I've gotten 5 fantastic purses from him - this year being no different.
A few weeks ago we were talking about the purses and how I've probably got enough and next year he could start a new gift trend.

The one item we both thought would be kind of fun was cowboy boots.


So just so we're straight: a couple weeks ago Paul decided that next year for my birthday he'd buy me a pair of cowboy boots. And yes, he's pretty much that organized thinking so far ahead about gifts. He's fantastic.

Saturday was my birthday, and as you know it was just me and the boys together that day since Paul is away doing some training.
I took the boys out to some yard sales and one of the homes we stopped at was selling these gorgeous boots.
They still had a $90 price tag on them.
I asked the lady what she was selling them for and she said $20.
When she saw me put them down she said "well, I will take $10 for them."
When she saw me walking back to my car she said "Ma'am, would you like to make me an offer for the boots?"

I told her I'd pay $5 and she said that was fine, I could have them for $5.


After I paid for them and was back in my car it hit me: I'd just gotten a pair of cowboy boots on my birthday. Perhaps it's a bit silly, but that thought completely delighted me - that God in His abundant gracious loving kindness had a pair of boots for me on my birthday, a year ahead of when Paul had planned to buy me a pair.


Your loving kindness is better than life,
My lips will praise You.

So I will bless You as long as I live;

I will lift up my hands in Your name.

Psalm 63:3&4

10 comments:

Sis said...

:)

Bethany said...

Perfect timing! I love it!

mum said...

Even I would not have the nerve to offer $5 for something with a $90 price tag on it!!!!

Tammy said...

That is a great story!

Tammy said...

That is a great story!

Bethany said...

Isn't God romantic? How much he does love us, to do these kinds of things for us. :)

BeckeyZ said...

Sweet boots!

I wanted boots for my birthday last year, but money was tight.

God is so good!!!

Jessica The Rock Chick said...

What a great story!!! I think it's incredible that you found a pair of boots while at a garage sale (one of your favorite things!) on your birthday while you're hubby is away and you're missing him. Definitely meant to be! Those are cute, too! I think I'm going to have to come visit you and get some training in shopping at garage sales. I swear to you, I can never find anything!!

Jessica said...

What a blessing! Don't you love that God cares about the little things?! The boots are awesome, by the way.

Jen said...

That is awesome!! Lovely boots too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails