6.24.2009

30 Days of Littles Day 19

Chillin' in our super cool fort.

It is easy for me to do things for my children. To give them kitchen tools to play with. To pull out some blankets and other odds and ends and build them a fort. To hand them empty toilet paper rolls for them to use as trumpets. Those things don't take much effort from me.

What is hard for me is taking the time and sitting down and playing with them in their creative play. That, for me, takes a much greater effort. On the one hand I want my children to explore and play independently. But on the other hand I want them to know that I delight in them, and in delighting in them, I enjoy doing the things they enjoy doing.

Paul's been away for a few days already and the boys are missing him terribly. In an effort to cheer up the boys a bit (and give myself something to do!!) I have really been trying to get down on their level and truly play with them.
Not just hand them the mixing spoon and pot, but sit down and be a part of their band.
Not just build the fort for them (over.and.over.and.over.again), but sit in it and help destroy it (and then build it over.and.over.and.over.again.)

You get the idea. Intentionally playing with my kids.
While no amount of attention from me can take away the fact that Paul isn't here right now it has helped to distract them (specifically Judah) from his absence. The boys both love when I sit and play with them in "their house" (the sheet tent!)

And ya know, it's pretty fun to be down on their level, totally immersed in their world of play. It's pretty funny to be a part of it and not just a spectator of it.

3 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh do I ever remember blanket tent/forts. My sister and I used to make them and my kids were MASTER tentmakers in their day.

Fun stuff.

Cascia Talbert said...

My kids love to play under blankets. My husband builds forts for them all the time.

Kristin said...

I also have a hard time actually playing with Helen. Part of it is that she is much more creative on her own. It seems like she waits for me to lead when I'm playing with her. Also, I forget that stopping to play with her is more important than vacuuming or whatever other chore I'm trying to accomplish!

Related Posts with Thumbnails