6.18.2009

30 Days of Littles Day 13

Another sanity saver is teaching our boys to do things themselves.


Judah wants new hardwood floors? He can put them in himself.

Just kidding on that :)

But real examples would be when Judah finishes with something (a cup, a toy, a crayon) he generally brings it to me and says "I don't want it."
It would be easy to take it from him and put it away, but I don't.
I ask him what the proper way to say that is, and he says "No thank you." And then I ask him what would I do with the item, and he then runs dishes to the sink or crayons to the table.

We go over situations like this a dozen times a day, and he is slowly but surely learning to clean up the items himself.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

This is a good one!

They don't grow out of btw :) My 8 and 6 yr olds still ask me to help them shower. Every once in awhile I'll help them, but I try to stick to my guns. Don't do for them what they can do for themselves. As a rule any - there's always a time for exceptions!

Kristin said...

Helen and I go through the exact same conversation multiple times a day. I cave in every once in a while but not often. She really can do things for herself most of the time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails