5.20.2010

Curried Black Beans over Couscous

 Curried Black Beans over Couscous

Our favorite dish this week has been curried black beans served over couscous - Paul enjoyed it so much he asked me to repeat the dish regularly! Thankfully I wrote down everything as I made it so it'll be easy to replicate. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 bag of couscous (I buy mine at Big Lots, but it should be in the international food section)
  • 1 bag of black beans
  • 1/3 onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • salt
  • pepper
  • curry powder
  1. Soak and cook black beans according to package. Note: this will take about 8 hours total. If you have never soaked your own beans I highly encourage it. They're healthier and cheaper and it's actually very easy.
  2. Once the black beans are done, rinse them and place in a large bowl. Cook the couscous according to package directions. 
  3. Chop the onion and garlic into small pieces. Add to black beans. Add salt, pepper and curry seasoning to taste. I didn't write down how much I added, but I kept tasting the beans until I liked the flavor.

    Serve couscous on each plate and load curried beans on top.
    Have special toppings in individual bowls for people to add their favorites.
    The toppings we had on hand and used were:


    • coconut
    • raw peanuts
    • raisins
    • yogurt

    This was a huge hit with all 4 of us. But be warned - couscous is MESSY!! I learned my lesson long ago and made this dinner into a fun picnic so we could eat it outside.

    USING THE LEFTOVERS

    The next day I had a lot of the curried bean mixture left over. I put it in our blender with a bit of coconut oil and blended it all up. I then spooned it into flour tortillas, added some home made hummus and cheese and wrapped the tortilla up tight. I put it under the broiler for a few minutes and we had an easy and delicious lunch with the left overs.
    Judah didn't care for it, but Paul, Wesley and myself really enjoyed it.

    Would you take a moment to help me win $200?!?!

    Sharing on Tasty Tuesday
     

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails