The other night we had a stay at home date that involved a nice dinner after the boys were in bed and us making this dessert together. It was so fun to make together and tasted so uniquely yummy. It is definitely one to make again. The presentation is so fun!
- 4 large grapefruit
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 maraschino cherries
- Halve grapefruits and section (so, so important!!); drizzle 1/4 teaspoon rum extract over each grapefruit half. Top with 1 rounded tablespoon of whipped cream, place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl beat the egg whites, cornstarch and cream of tarter on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff, glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Mound 1/2 cup on each grapefruit half; spread meringue to edges to seal.
- Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes or until meringue is brown. Top each with a cherry and serve immediately.
The recipe called for cherries to top the meringue, but we settled for toasted walnuts as that is all I had on hand.
Sharing on Tasty Tuesday