6.09.2010

Breads

 
I  have long aspired to stop buying bread from the grocery store and make all of my own from scratch. 
While my sister was staying with us for 6 months she very kindly took on the job of making bread for us and came up with two fabulous recipes that she made many times and since she has left I have made several times. It was during her time here that I stopped buying commercially made bread products - apart from tortillas. I buy a lot of flour tortillas and it suddenly hit me today that I should try making my own, and so I did. WOW! What an incredible difference. Before sharing the recipe and how I served them here are the other two bread recipes I frequently make:

The Ciabatta Bread is so very easy to make and is delicious - most especially with soup! 
It literally takes minutes to prepare the dough and then you can let it sit all day or all night and then just pour onto your baking dish. Seriously easy and so good!

The  Hamburger Rolls are incredible - I don't think I can go back to store bought rolls, these are so delicious and they really are very simple to make, you just need to account for the rising time and plan accordingly. Esther made them look so fun with different toppings sprinkled on hers, I just used Italian seasoning.

I made them this week and served them toasted with BBQ chicken breasts from Schwan's - their chicken is my new favorite! So tender and yummy.

 
I used the left over BBQ chicken and mixed in some black beans and added some cheddar cheese and rolled it up in the homemade tortillas - so tasty and simple. Paul requested that it become a regular dinner! What a sweet compliment. 

Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe

  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsps baking powder
  • 2 TBS butter (called for lard, but we don't use it), softened
  • 1.5 cups water
  1.  Mix the dry ingredients. Add the butter and mix with your hands - it will be sort of lumpy but not really. I almost panicked as it didn't seem like a proper consistency, but it worked out fine in the end! Add the water and mix (I continued doing so with my hands) until the dough is a smooth and elastic consistency.
  2. Divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll into balls. I patted each ball with flour as I shaped them - it helped make the ball easier to shape and also made rolling it out easier too. This recipe really does make 24 balls, however several times I did combine two balls to make one larger tortilla.
  3. Preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat. I used a tiny bit of butter in the bottom, but I don't think it's required.
    Using a floured rolling pin roll out the tortillas - getting them super flat takes a bit of work, as does getting a nice circular shape. Mine were either perfectly thin or perfectly shaped - I didn't nail both in the same tortilla. (And you know what? No one cared!) 
  4. Place the rolled dough in skillet until golden and bubbly and then flip - about 30 seconds per side.
  5. Continue rolling and cooking the tortillas as you eat the ones you have prepared.
...while writing this out I had a sudden weird feeling that maybe I have made these in the past, but having searched this blog and my recipe blog I can't find any mention of it. But regardless, this recipe will now become a constant

7 comments:

Brandy said...

Jess,

do you use coconut oil in your cooking?

A friend of mine told me to refrigerate to let it harden nicely and use that in my tortillas. There is something soooo incredibly delicious with the Coconut oil. oh my word.

YUM!!

Crystal said...

Yummy. I made them once years ago, and decided never again. haha I get too bored and they took too long.

But, I do buy them freshly made from our bakery. They make them every day and have some with whole wheat. You're right... the packaged junk doesn't compare to fresh bread. I can hardly eat commercial bread anymore.

Amber said...

YUMMY! I too make my own hamburger buns. They are wonderful. But I must try the tortilla recipe. Thank you for sharing!

Tammy said...

http://honeydinnersready.blogspot.com/search/label/homemade%20tortillas
:)

I might have to try some of these recipes

jerilyn said...

I'm looking forward to trying the ciabatta and the hamburger buns (I have to admit that I want to buy 2 more packages of sara lee just to get the toy story 3 plate for my kid!)

I like tortillas (well any baked good including pancakes) with half spelt flour and half whole wheat- gives a great taste!

jerilyn

Kristin said...

Yum! Thanks. I made these tonight. I used half whole wheat flour, half white. They were great.

Kathy Morris said...

This looks like a really good recipe. It really is okay to use lard. I inow it's really politically uncorrect, but it is a natural fat and if you can find lard that's not mixed with partially hydrogenated vegetable oils it is stable and healthy to cook with. In the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, Sally Fallon explains it further, if you are interested.
Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails